Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Beautiful Oregon Coast

Several weekends back Bobby and I made the drive to the Oregon coast. The drive alone is beautiful and so scenic. I am still in awe of the trees, the beauty and size. When we arrived at this coastal town, I was immediately taken in. It was as though I was in a movie. This little town is full of quaint bookstores, shops, and bistros. Cannon Beach did not disappoint. Also, I am a tried and true 80's kid so I thought it was a lot of fun to be on the coast where The Goonies movie was filmed.

Because we decided to drive out Labor Day weekend, Cannon Beach was packed with people trying to get in the last drop of summer here in the Pacific Northwest. This particular day it seemed to this Tennessee girl, that summer had already ended since the temperatures this weekend on the coast were only in the 70's. However, that didn't seem to matter to the thousands that were not just on the beach that day, but also in the very cold water. Nonetheless, everyone seemed to be enjoying the last official weekend of summer.

Cannon Beach has 9 miles of very wide and walkable beaches. It's not at all like the beaches down south in the gulf. And my favorite part about Cannon Beach, and all of the Pacific Northwest, is that they allow dogs. I sat down on the beach this day and watched dog after dog fetch after anything and everything that was thrown. I was one happy girl.

Haystack Rock has to be the most photographed thing in Cannon Beach. You can't help but be drawn to this beautiful rock. Yes, it is just a rock, but a very big rock at 235 feet high. We took pictures but our pictures don't really do it justice.






After our time on the beach we went exploring in the town. We couldn't resist all the shops from the bakery to the book shop to the candy store. Bruce's Candy Kitchen made me want to be a kid again. I wanted to buy everything. It was all so colorful and looked so yummy. I took some pictures of my favorites but only ended up with a small bag of Jelly Belly's and a couple chocolate turtles.







Everywhere we seem to visit one thought is always constant in my mind. I am having the most amazing time here. But I do wish my boys were here to experience and enjoy this with us. No matter the 2,500+ miles between us, I am still a mama missing her boys.

Be blessed,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment